Guest speaker: Andrew Thompson
As the US and other countries struggle with everything from contact tracing to holding elections in an increasingly digital world, Estonia has embraced a “digital first” approach and provides some lessons learned. This conclave will discuss a wide-range of topics relating to digital society.
Some topics that arose in the group’s discussion:
- positive vs. negative rights
- the role of trust + consensus in digital governance
- the relative ease of assuring trust at the level of local governance/politics as opposed to at higher non-local levels.
- Incumbency as the primary hurdle to tech innovation
- Framing as prioritization instead of absolute choices:
- privacy vs security
- freedom vs material security